Monday, November 4, 2013

He's Grown Out of Micro Premie Diapers!

Today was an interesting day. I walk in to the NICU and immediately run into the nurse that has been taking care of Eli during the day. She looks at me and says, "Oh Annie, did you hear what happened". So clearly I start to panic, but try to reason with myself that if something major happened they would have called me.  So I ask what...Now I called last night around 2:30 while I was up to pump just to see how he was doing. And in my half asleep confusion what I heard from the nurse was they had to move his IV site "near his head". I remember back to nursing school seeing a guy with a central line in his neck so this is what I assume is going on, and at 230 it makes total sense to me. As I'm walking in and this nurse is pretty upset about something, I realize how little sense that actually made and I probably heard wrong. So what happened was Eli's IV site which was in his foot had to be changed and there were no other IV sites left in his whole body except for his head. So they had to start the IV in the middle of his forehead.. This was fine until when they started his antibiotic. His IV infiltrated, basically that means that the catheter of the IV dislodged and the fluid that was supposed to go into his vein went into the tissue of his forehead instead. Luckily the nurse caught it pretty quickly stopped the IV and he got a shot to prevent any swelling. He has a nice area in the middle of his forehead that we have to keep an eye on to make sure the tissue doesn't turn necrotic. The nurse that was taking care of him last night was so upset that it happened, she waited until I showed up this morning to talk to me to explain everything that happened herself, which I think was pretty above an beyond. It's so awesome how much these nurses care about their patients. The good thing that happened from all this is that his nurse this morning talked to the doctor and asked if we could not re stick him seeing as he is doing so well with his feedings. Soooo baby is IV free!!! He also has been switched to only nasal canula, no CPAP. He's been doing great with the feedings, he's at 23 cc's every 3 hours. Breathing has been pretty good, some desats but overall doing well. He will get his eyes checked on Thursday, a repeat echo at the end of the week because his murmur is still present, and another brain scan at the beginning of next week.
This evening he had his nurse who we call  his girlfriend. She is so good and he loves her. She was saying how good he is doing tracking noises with his eyes and showing really good motor coordination because he can very easily get his fingers in his mouth. Both very advanced preemie activities. She switched his OG tube to now a NG tube. So the tube feeding him goes down his nose, which is better for him and its easier for him to suck on his binky. It's important to get him to suck on his binky while he gets his food so he can start to equate the sucking with getting a full belly. I might be able to start breastfeeding sometime next week!! I can not wait until I get up to feed a cute squishy baby and not to pump!!! He's starting to have more facial expressions too. Little smiles and smirks. I told him I loved him and he smiled and then I kissed him and he smiled again...it totally wasn't gas, I swear.



 baby burrito




His booboo looks worse than it actually is. It doesn't hurt him when you touch it. And already looks better this evening 

No comments:

Post a Comment